1. We are appalled and deeply concerned by the vicious attack on a safe distancing Enforcement Officer from the National Parks Board today. The officer was carrying out safe distancing duties with another colleague along the Sungei Serangoon Park Connector when they came across a member of the public. The man was cutting plants illegally at the park connector and was not wearing a mask. During the engagement, the man turned aggressive and attacked the officer with a sharp instrument. The officer sustained injuries. The assailant has been swiftly arrested and will be charged in court.
2. This is an egregious act of violence inflicted on a public servant whilst he was performing his duties. We have zero tolerance towards such acts. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
3. Any form of abuse or attack on public officers constitutes a serious offence, and offenders will be prosecuted in court.
4. Our public officers are committed to help keep Singaporeans safe in our public spaces during this COVID-19 period. We call on the public to abide strictly by the safe distancing measures, and to cooperate when approached by our officers.
5. The NParks officer is currently warded at a hospital for treatment. Our thoughts are with the officer and his family, and we are extending our support. We wish him a complete and speedy recovery.
MINISTRY OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND WATER RESOURCES
NATIONAL PARKS BOARD
4 MAY 2020