Singapore's environmental issues, and the policies to tackle these issues.
Statistics, reports and publications by our ministry and statutory boards.
Report incidents, participate in public consultations and suggest ideas.
Clean air protects our health and is an important component of quality of life.
Industries, power stations, and motor vehicles are the main sources of air pollution. However, these are essential functions we cannot forego. To ensure good air quality, we set emission standards and encourage the adoption of progressively cleaner fuels in the industrial and transportation sectors.
To maintain the Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) for ambient air within the ‘good’ range for 85% of the year, and within the ‘moderate’ range for remaining 15%.
Lower the annual ambient level of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) to 12 µg/m3 by 2020 and maintain it at this level till 2030.
Keep annual ambient level of sulphur dioxide under 15µg/m3 till 2030.
We are currently exploring more stringent air quality targets that are benchmarked to World Health Organisation’s Air Quality Guidelines.
Environmental problems can be avoided through proper land use planning. In Singapore, an integrated approach is adopted to ensure that environmental considerations are factored in our land-use planning, development control and building control stages in order to minimise pollution impacts and mitigate nuisance impacts on surrounding land uses. Industries are sited in designated industrial estates with adequate buffer from residential estates.
Before industries are allowed to operate in Singapore, they are screened to ensure they do not pose un-manageable pollution problems and health and safety hazards. In addition, they have to incorporate pollution control measures to comply with NEA’s air emissions standards and regulations.
All new vehicles in Singapore have to meet minimum emission standards.
Emission standards have been progressively tightened over the years, taking into consideration the cost and environmental benefits. The next standard for all new diesel vehicles is the Euro V emission standard, to be mandated from 1 Jan 2014. Diesel vehicles registered on or after 1 October 2006 are required to meet at least Euro IV standard while all new petrol vehicles have to comply with Euro II standard since 1 January 2001. Euro V emission standard will be mandated for all new diesel vehicles from 1 Jan 2014.
Existing vehicles on the road are required to undergo regular inspections to ensure that they do not emit excessive smoke.
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND MANAGEMENT ACT (CAP 94A)
Our statutory board, the National Environment Agency (NEA), keeps Singapore clean and green by protecting Singapore's resources from pollution, maintaining a high level of public health and providing timely meteorological information.
FOR MORE INFO
Keeping our air clean by reducing emissions from industries and vehicles.
Keeping our land clean by managing our solid and hazardous waste well.
Ensuring there is water for all to live, enjoy, conserve and value.
Preventing transmission of vector-borne diseases and keeping our public areas clean.
Conserving and using energy efficiently and reducing carbon emissions to address challenges and climate change.
Last updated: 07 Oct 2019
Share This Page
stay in touch
© 2020 Ministry of Sustainability & the Environment